Saturday, October 18, 2008

Chasing Home II


Chasing Home II, originally uploaded by apriljoy45.

This is the finished version of the process I described in the post below (here). In the preious post I was working on the bottom section, which ended up being the toughest to work on, followed closely by the middle section. I think in all I repainted all or parts of the nest at least 4 times. Most often it involved me putting washes of paint on it to consistently bring down the colors to match the rest of the piece. In the end I am happy with it, if nothing else the layers of paint really added some subtle colors in there.
I brought this piece to my Art Group and everyone really liked it (at least that's what they told me!) which was a good affirmation. When I'm working on something I so easily lose perspective on it.
I can't help in some ways feeling that as much as I love this process of mixed media and 3-D painting, I'm cheating in a way. I use the leaves because I am too afraid to try and paint the trees. I use the print block so i don't have to carve out the wood, and I use simple shapes so I don't get intimidated by my lack of illustrating abilities. I use texture because it adds character and depth I'm afraid I can't get on my own with just paint and a brush.
I know I shouldn't be so hard on myself, because it's more important to be productive than it is to live up to some unreasonable (for me) ideal of what it means to be an artist. But it's hard to break years of training and mind-sets. I'm trying though. 
The ideas are coming, and I am developing them quickly in my head in ways that I can be successful, which is an accomplishment in itself. I believe (and I am trying to continually remind myself) that as long as I grow from project to project, try new ideas and don't get stuck in ruts, then I am being true to what it means to be an artist. What it means for ME to be the best artist I can be.

2 comments:

  1. I think what you did is amazing! And you definitely shouldn't be beating yourself up. A lot of people would never have thought to do all the cool things you did to create the end product! We shouldn't put down what comes easy to us (although I know that happens to me too!) I'm curious about how you put it all together in the frame like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leah! Definitely trying to remain positive is a challenge, but it's all part of the process, and I'm getting better at it all the time.

    In terms of the process, the paintings are done on 3 sections of a 2x4, and then I use a 1"x .25" strip of balsa wood painted black in between the blocks and around the outside to act as spacers. The I make the frame pieces out of 1.5" x .25" bass wood strips and nail it on the outside. It's kind of a lot of steps, but I love the affect. I just buy the wood at the craft store and cut it down with my little hand saw.

    ReplyDelete