Thursday, January 1, 2009

Chasing Home Series: #3


Number 3 of the Chasing Home Series, using the theme "Vines" from Art Group. I had actually started the painting before I got the theme, so I had to figure out a way to work vines in. Around the time I was thinking of that, I was also trying to think of a piece of text that I could wrap around the edges of the paintings, and the two challenges kind of resolved each other.

I ended up writing a letter to a person I needed to resolve some issues with, and it occurred to me that the words could become the vines. In this series I've used trees as a metaphor for strength and wisdom, and the imagery of these words that I needed to say (but never had) wrapping around the trees, strangling, threatening to take them over, was a powerful one. 



No comments:

Post a Comment